By Karen Topakian
In the wake of the Newtown, CT shootings, many people and politicians are calling for serious gun control laws. I suggest that we look to abortion laws for guidance on possible gun control laws. Here are a few to consider:
1. Require a gun seeker to wait a specified period of time usually 24 hours between receiving counseling and the actual purchase.
2. Mandatory counseling before purchasing a gun including information on at least one of the following purported links between gun ownership and death to a family member, friend or unknown person, negative psychological effect from the loss of life associated with use of the firearm.
3. Parental involvement in a minor’s decision to purchase a gun. Require one or both parents to consent to the purchase. Notify one or both parents of the intended purchase.
4. Gun purchases must be made through a licensed gun dealer
5. Gun purchases must be made in a licensed gun business
6. A second gun dealer must be present
7. Gun purchases are prohibited except in cases of life or health endangerment
8. No public funding may be involved in the purchasing of a gun
9. Gun dealers may refuse to sell a gun to an individual or an institution.
10. Gun dealers may refuse to sell a gun for religious reasons.